The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Monday, June 11, 2007

"Beer Can" Chicken



I've been hearing about this for years now....the phenomenon of cooking a whole chicken sitting on a can of beer. Until recently (how long can I go on about having a grill!) I haven't had the opportunity to try this new concept....until now.

Our good friends gave us a housewarming gift which was a beer can roaster. (I can't find the exact brand they gave, but that one is close) This little piece of grilling equipment, allows you to pour the beer directly into its own compartment so you can use any beer you might have on hand. If you don't have one of these handy items, a regular old beer can will do!

For the chicken:
1, 3-4lb chicken, cleaned and prepared
1 bunch of fresh rosemary
generous amounts of fresh ground black pepper and coarse salt

Prepare chicken by sliding several rosemary springs underneath skin of chicken (breasts and thighs are good locations for this). Heavily salt and pepper skin and massage to ensure good coverage. Pour 1/2 of a beer into compartment on roaster (or you can just drink/dispose half of a can of beer) and place several springs of rosemary inside. Humiliate the chicken by properly fitting the beer can compartment into the cavity (or onto the beer can) of the bird.

Grill using indirect heat (seen above) for @ 1- 1.5 hours or until the chicken reaches the internal temperature of 180*F.

This recipe/method is not only fail safe and easy, but the chicken was AMAZING! No wonder people swear by it. The amount of moisture and flavor from the beer is unbelievable. Run home right now and throw a bird on a beer!

5 comments:

Opus One said...

Hi Meghan,

You were nominated for the Culinate GrillMe contest (http://www.culinate.com/grillme), but I can not find an email for you to send you the official notification and supply you with updates on the voting. Please feel free to get back to me at mark@culinate.com if you are interested in more info.

Cheers,
Mark

Judy said...

Yeah, I've been hearing about this for years too, but I've never tried it. I don't have a grill or access to one, so that might be why...one day I will finally make it though!

Janet said...

Hi Meghan.... I've never tried this either, but I've always wondered how good it was. The last time I used a beer out of the fridge to cook something, I got in BIG TROUBLE - I made beer bread... how was I supposed to know it was his LAST one!! Good luck in Culinate!!!

Laura said...

*love* drunk chicken!

Peter M said...

Hi Meghan, 1st time visitor to your site and I'm glad you're sold on beer can chicken...isn't the best? I've posted on this subject too and thanks for the link to Weber's stand/tray!.