The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Quinoa Tabbouleh


I grew up eating tabbouleh because my mother loved Middle Eastern food and would make it quite often. It has all the great summer ingredients, like fresh parsley, mint and lemon juice. Traditionally it has almost more of the herb mixture than grain. I've always loved tabbouleh, but didn't have the traditional barley, but I had a box of quinoa (say it...keen-wah) in my pantry and went with that instead. Quinoa has a bitter outer layer, so you have to rinse and lightly scrub the grain in a colander before preparing.


2 c water
1 c quinoa, rinsed

Heat quinoa and water in a sauce pan over med-high heat, until water is boiling. Cover, and reduce heat to med-low. Cook quinoa for about 10-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Allow to cool.

3 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 c cucumber, diced
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1/2 c fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon , juice and zest
1/3 c good quality olive oil
a pinch of allspice
Sea Salt to taste

Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Add in quinoa and mix until well blended. Allow to sit in refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving!

3 comments:

test it comm said...

That quinoa salad looks nice and fresh and good!

Anonymous said...

Funny, i just bought a box of bulger so i can make tabbouleh. Never thought to use quinoa- its so good for you. We ate at a fantastic Middle Eastern restaurant in Chicago this weekend and I can't stop thinking about it. Thought tabbouleh would be the quickest, coolest way to relive it. I already made hummus and that pea hummus recipe I emailed you- mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I just found quinoa in the past year and found out I really like it. Your dish sounds much like what I made with lots of veggies. Good stuff!