The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Fresh Pea Smash

As you might have read here I'm in love with fresh peas. I've loved peas since I was a small child, when other friends were hiding them in their napkins or under the mashed potato, I was eating them all with great delight!



I'm calling this a smash, because It's not really whipped or mashed completely, as I left lots of whole peas throughout to maintain the freshness of the peas from the farmers market.


This may resemble guacamole, as my friend Kate suggested, but its really an incredibly tasty pea smash. (Yes, I sent her this picture and asked her if it resembled anything unappealing or non edible) I'm not sure what else to call it, and I know it appears green and a tad mushy, but again, I love peas, and by using the fresh peas, it's not a total pile of mush.



1 c of chicken stock
2 c fresh peas
1 clove of garlic, minced fine
2 tbsp lime thyme (any kind of thyme would work here)
1 tbsp butter
1tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated fine



Heat butter and oil over med-high heat and saute garlic and thyme for about 2 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and add the peas. Cook peas in stock for about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove half of the pea mixture and put aside. In a small food processor, add remaining peas and stock and process for about 30 seconds, on intervals. Remove mixture and add to reserved whole peas and mix well. Fold Parmesan cheese into pea smash, and serve!





I had a really beautiful tuna steak, that I grilled with just salt and pepper and a drizzle of lemon juice. I topped my pea smash with the tuna steak and it was a really good dinner!

(***Cooks note: This would also make a great spread on grilled pieces of Italian bread, topped with a thin slice of prosciutto!***)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for peas! they are indeed my favorite too!

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy! I love peas too!

Confessions of a Makeup Whore and Product Junkie said...

Mmm...sounds delicious!
I'm also a big fan of peas and mint...got any new ideas for that combo?

Meghan said...

My makeup whore ;) :

You could easily sub out mint for thyme... I have a HUGE amount of mint and thyme taking over my garden so either one could have made it into the dish!

Peas with mint and risotto is also a good combo!

Daziano said...

It does look like guacamole!!!! I wonder what would happen if you add some cilantro ;)

Anonymous said...

I just had this at a restaurant and thought I would set out for a better recipe- thanks for doing it for me! Steph, check out real simple for an awesome recipe http://food.realsimple.com/realsimple/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1601149

Pigtown*Design said...

Mushy peas! On the menu at all of the best british restaurants!

Kayte said...

this looks wonderful! i love peas too :-)

K8teebug said...

Yummy! I have never thought to smash my peas. Will do so immediately.

Anonymous said...

i love pea soup and peas hidden in things like fried rice but i've never been able to handle JUST the peas....maybe I owe it to myself to try fresh peas...as I'm pretty sure the ones at Thanksgiving come frozen from a bag! Plus, I need to use up some of that lime thyme in my awesome herb garden:-)

roopa said...

Fresh peas are awesome, and I love that you called this a "smash" because, well, it's just fun that way :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Meghan,

I love your smashed pea idea. It also made me think of a pea dish in England we call mushy peas...
It's made from a large type of pea called marrow fat peas and is very delicious. Basically the peas using your same method but replacing the parmesan cheese with fresh chopped mint and a tiny piece of butter.

We serve this pea dish traditionally with things like fish and chips or even faggots (which is a pork meatball in a rich gravy.

Best wishes
Kevin Anthony Ashton
Chef and Food Writer
www.wannabetvchef.blog.co.uk