The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lemon Berry Scones

I made these for Father's Day, for my incredible dad, who's been nothing but a beacon of strength and love through my mother's illness. My dad and I have always been pals, from the beginning. We used to go on hikes together and collect bugs, then we 'd take them home and identify what kind they were. (As an adult, I scream at the sight of a spider..what happened?) These days, he and I love going on culinary field trips together, to Asian food markets and farmers markets and he always sends me articles from the paper on food related topics. These little things reminds me of how much he cares, and how much he thinks of me in his day to day life. He was my first hero and my glimpse of what a real, dedicated, honorable man should be, and I'm proud that he is my father.



Now, wipe your eyes, and read the recipe below!

This was my first attempt at making a scone (what's wrong with me?) despite my Irish heritage and the fact that I love them! My mother makes them, my grandmother did, so I can too, right? Well my dad liked them, and I thought the texture and flavor were good, but I'm gonna have to make a few more batches of these to really perfect them! Overall, A+ from Dad on the first try!

2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 c butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 c milk
1 egg
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 c fresh raspberries
1/4 c fresh blackberries
2 tbsp milk
1 Tbs. sugar

Preheat oven to 425ยบ F.

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Cut in butter with pastry blender (or your fingers) until the dough has coarse crumbs throughout.


In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 c milk, egg and lemon zest and mix well. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, mixing with fork just until dry ingredients are moist and a soft dough forms. Gently stir in berries. Gather dough into a ball and gently knead for about 1 minute. (Don't be afraid to add some flour to your work surface or your hands to keep the dough from sticking to you or your surfaces!)
Place dough on greased baking sheet. Pat into about a 9-inch circle, 1/2-inch thick. With sharp knife, cut through dough to form 8 wedges; but do not separate. Brush top of dough with 2 tbsp milk; sprinkle with sugar.


Bake until golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Cut through scones, separating wedges, and return to oven for a bout 5 minutes.
For the glaze:
equal parts lemon juice, zest and confectioners sugar. Stir until blended and a "glaze" like consistency is formed. Place into a small sandwich bag, cut the tip of a corner, and lightly drizzle across each scone. Allow to cool and serve!

8 comments:

roopa said...

Those look so good! I like your method of baking them together, then separating them for the last few minutes. Clever!

Confessions of a Makeup Whore and Product Junkie said...

These look amazing!
I plan on making these with Brennan, my chef-in-training, tomorrow...he's always down for berries of any kind and the lemon, I bet, just sets all of the flavors off.
Mmmm....yummy!

Peter M said...

Aww, very sweet and I know why you're now scared of bugs - daddy's not nearby to protect you!

I like scone with a shmear of butter...pass one over, please!

Anonymous said...

Oh Meg, this is such a sweet post!
(the scones look great too!)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Awwww, Every Dad dreams of hearing those words, he sounds like a pillar of strength, and such a fun guy, and might I say from that photo, a very handsome man!!
Your such a sweet daughter, Meghan.

test it comm said...

Those scones sound good!

taste memory said...

lovely post about food memories - scone looks luscious too!

Kayte said...

what an awesome tribute to your Dad. i'm sure he is immensely proud of you. and your scones look wonderful! i love how easy and delicious scones are.