The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Grilled Chicken Paillard with Lemon and Black Pepper

This is a very basic and simple warm night dinner or lunch, that I love. I had 3-5 lemons that needed to be used, so I decided to use the juice and zest to marinate the chicken breasts I had in the fridge.

My husband has become grill obsessed since we moved into our home last April, and we've pretty much grilled since day one. We even made ribs in February...because we missed the charcoal effect so much through the winter. This recipe is so easy because if you marinate the chicken and then start the grill, by the time your coals (you aren't using gas are you???) are ready, your chicken is marinated.

Paillard is a term for any kind of meat or chicken, that's been pounded very thin. I love to grill think chicken breasts because not only are they quick as can be, but also because they tend to not dry out as easy.

4 chicken breasts, pounded thin (about 3/4 lb)
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
1/2 c good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, chopped fine
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper

Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, shallot and pepper, and add chicken breasts. Allow to marinate about 30 minutes.

Remove chicken from marinade, season with sea salt on both sides and grill about 3 minutes on each side.
I served this with a light salad of baby greens, tomato and red onion, with a red wine vinaigrette.

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the flavours of this chicken dish.The chicken also cooks up more quickly so dinner can be on the table sooner. I am with your husband and grill as often as I can...less washing up afterwards:D

Daziano said...

Hmmmm! It looks very tasty and it'es perfect for a sunny summer day!!!