The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts


When I first started this blog (almost one year ago!) I had a different format and this was one of the first posts I made. Since I've increased in popularity and have many blogger friends out there reading my blog, I thought I'd re-post this simple recipe to ensure you all have tried this method of cooking Brussels Sprouts.


This is the easiest and most delicious (in my opinion) way to enjoy the sprouts. My husband didn't eat these delicious veggies until this method was introduced to him!

I got this idea from Ina Garten as I saw her prepare them this way...although I love just about any vegetable that's been roasted. The flavors caramelize under the high temperature of the oven and the outsides of the sprouts get crisp.


1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Serve immediately.
Did you know?
According to a survey in 2002, Brussels sprouts are Britain's most hated vegetable, and it has become a cliche there and in the United States that children dislike the vegetable. Overcooking releases sulphur compounds in the vegetables that give it a distinctive smell commonly found unpleasant. If correctly cooked, the unpleasant smell is avoided and the vegetable possesses a delicate nutty flavor.

4 comments:

roopa said...

I love roasted Brussels Sprouts! Boiling them is just nasty. But roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper? Yum! I like throwing in some walnuts and grated parmesan cheese, too.

I usually make those for Thanksgiving, but this year I'm putting a Thai/Vietnamese spin on them...details in a few days!

PS. I like your new layout - it's lighter and easier to read.

Larissa said...

Funny, I just had the thought yesterday that it's strange that I've never had Brussels sprouts. These look good!

Kayte said...

i have, admittedly, never even thought of making brussels sprouts. simply because they have such a bad rap. but you have inspired me. i love all things roasted so i must give this a try!

K8teebug said...

I totally made brussel sprouts last night for dinner. I need to try your roasting way. I heart them.