The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ceviche

The marinade used in ceviche is citrus based, with lemons and limes being the most commonly used. This being said, all citrus will work. In addition to adding flavor, the citric acid causes the proteins in the seafood to become denatured which pickles or "cooks" the fish without heat.


This seems more of a summer dish, but I attended a themed cocktail party and this fit right in with the other Mexican dishes served.


2 each of the following (juice and zest):
lime
orange
lemon

1lb bay scallops
1lb shrimp
2 jalapeno
1 small red onion
1 small red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Add all ingredients to a bowl and let marinade for 4-6 hours. Serve cold with tortillas.

2 comments:

Peter M said...

I luv ceviche and I haven't had it in awhile...it's good summer/winter for me!

Janet said...

Yours looks fabulous. I love Ceviche too, I make it often for guests and its always popular... come check out my version...

Shrimp Ceviche