The recipes on this blog are a combination of things I've learned over the years and meals inherited through generations of adoration for good food. They are a cherished property, so please be good to them.

You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this content without prior written permission.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Honey Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

I love parsnips more than most of the other root vegetables. They are also the perfect plate date for carrots as they compliment each other so well. I served these with my French Chicken in a Pot and it was the perfect compliment to a french dinner.

1lb carrots, cleaned and sliced on the diagonal
1lb parsnips, cleaned and sliced on the diagonal
2 tbsp honey
1 sprig of thyme, leaves only
coarse sea salt
freshly ground pepper
olive oil to coat the vegetables

Heat oven to 400* F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Add the vegetables and the oil together in a bowl and mix thoroughly making sure all the vegetables are coated in oil. Lay the carrots and parsnips out on the baking sheet and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, giving them a shake and shimmy, half way through.

Meanwhile, heat over low heat, the honey and thyme leaves, just to allow the honey to melt and the flavors to come together.
Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle the honey and thyme mixture over the veggies. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Peter M said...

Meghan, more care should be taken when cooking vegetables (as you have). An overall meal is so much better!

Anonymous said...

I have never cooked a parsnip in my life; don't know why...just never crossed my mind. Thanks for the encouragement! Looks delish, especially with the honey & thyme!

Cynthia said...

Meghan that is a colourful, healthy, inviting and appetizing photograph.

roopa said...

I love honey glazed carrots, but I've never made them with parsnips or thyme (I rarely use thyme, not sure why I don't!). I'm going to have to try this next time I get the urge to make glazed carrots!

Jaime said...

did you know i've never had parsnips before?! they look great w/the carrots though :)

Anonymous said...

I made this as a side for Chicken in a Pot. I used butternut squash instead of the parsnips. The honey & thyme are a wonderful combination!